Sunday, May 28, 2023

A Little Bit of “Home”

 


This morning, it was tough to get out of bed. I had my windows open and it was a bit chilly in my apartment. I had hoped to go to Dominion Valley Park for the church service. Since it was the Gospel Music Festival, I knew the music and the preaching would be great. But, with the cooler temperatures and rain in the forecast for the day, I decided not to go. Now, what do I do? I really wanted to stay home and listen to a service online. Then, I realized that it was Pentecost Sunday. I had to go to church. So, I hurried and got ready to go to worship with my brothers and sisters in Christ. 

I decided to worship at a church that I had visited a couple of times before. This small congregation was very welcoming. And, as I sat there, listening to announcements and all the stuff that seemed to go on before the “official” start of the service, I realized something. My organized self wanted things to get moving, start on time, end on time, everything during the service should be orchestrated perfectly. It wasn’t. What I realized was that this was a community of believers, invested and truly interested in each other’s lives. They shared news of what was happenening and praised God for working in their lives and in the lives of others. They were invested more in relationships than in following the clock to the minute. It was obvious that they loved the Lord and each other and they shared that love with whoever walked through the church doors. 

The service reminded me of church in Kalsagri, one of the small village churches that I served in Ghana. Powerful prayers. Lively music. Instead of ushers taking the offering, people walked up and gave it ( In Ghana, they danced up to give the offering), walking around and praying when the Spirit moved people to do so. Powerful preaching with an altar call and a specific challenge to live the week ahead for Christ, leaving a legacy that reflects Christ and Christ alone. This church was a glimpse into the services at Kalsagri. Those services were longer, louder, livelier. I know that you may think I am out of place in a church like I was in today. I’m quieter. I kinda stay in my pew and don’t move around much. It took me a long time to loosen up when in Kalsagri. But, just because I’m “just sitting there” doesn’t mean the Spirit isn’t working in me. I appreciate the church where I worshipped today. It was like being home. And, if God can do that for me, imagine what He can do for you!

Be blessed today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment