Tuesday, May 23, 2023

A Cooking Adventure



I rarely cook “real food.” That’s the term I use when cooking something that has more ingredients than a grilled cheese sandwich or a meal that needs more than one piece of flatware to eat it. This week, I had a “hankering” for real food. I actually went grocery shopping and bought some things that I had never in my life bought….sesame seed oil and an avocado. No, they were not used in the same recipe. I can’t even imagine that! Sunday was my first meal I made using the sesame seed oil. I made chicken fried rice. I made fried rice all the time when I lived in Ghana, throwing whatever veggies I had into the pan. I never used a recipe. This time I used a recipe, thus, the sesame seed oil. I have to admit, it turned out pretty good. I will make it again, probably in the near future. 


 Today a friend was coming over to help me fix a wall and for lunch. I have been wanting to make a caprese salad for a couple of weeks now. So, this morning I got out my recipe and made the dressing first because I wanted to refrigerate it. I actually used fresh garlic and honey in it, along with other fresh ingredients. Then, it was time to chop up the lettuce, slice the tomatoes, cut fresh basil, and the avocado.  I used a recipe and I  went out of my comfort zone into my learning zone. Anyway, the last ingredient was the fresh mozzarella cheese. I put the dressing on it right before I served it. Oh, it was delicious. Tonight I will eat some leftovers with chicken in it. 

During my quiet time/coffee with God this morning, one of the things I thanked God for was the food choices that I have by living in the United States. In the area of Ghana where I lived, this salad would have been impossible to make because the ingredients were not available. I’m thinking that I might go out of my comfort zone and try a few more recipes sometime. Meanwhile, I’m going to enjoy my leftovers! 

Have a blessed day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment