Friday, June 2, 2023

How Will You Be Remembered?

 

Last Monday was Memorial Day, a day to stop and remember those who gave their lives so I could enjoy the freedoms that I have just by being an American citizen and living in the United States. These brave men and women fought in the armed services of our country and they will be remembered as giving the Ultimate Sacrifice-their lives.

At the church I attended the day before, the sermon was titled, How Will You be Remembered? sed Hebrews 11 as his main text, which by the way, is an excellent portion of Scripture, citing so many people of Biblicl tmes being remembered for their great faith. Were they perfect people? No,t by any means, but that is a topic for another day.

As I sit here at my desk in Stuart, VA, I ask myself, "How will I be remembered?" Hmmm...Not an easy question to answer. I know how I will be remembered in Ghana because I was blessed to have had a Farewell Service during which all kinds of people said those things that you only hear people say at a funeral. Here, in Stuart, I'm "working on it."

But, seriously, I wonder how I will be remembered. What is my legacy? Before Ghana and after Ghana, what did people see in me that they would say, "I remember Sue, she...."? Not having children of my own and an extended family that gets smaller as the years go by, who is left to remember? I hope people will see Christ in me. I hope the will see the Fruit of the Holy Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control) in me. You know, this is an every day hing. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's a battle. With God by my side and at the center of my life, He will take care of my legacy. He will be the reason people will say, "I remember Sue, she...."
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Sue for these thoughtf provoking words..

    ReplyDelete