Monday, October 19, 2015

Why?


"Why?" It's such a great question, always looking to learning more. "Why?" It can drive a mother crazy when her young one asks the question 1,000 times. "Why?" is a question I have asked God not too long ago. I  had traveled to Albania to attend the Regional Gathering that The Mission Society sponsored for its workers in Europe, Asia and Africa. (It is a time for personal and professional development. And, a time of fellowship and worship.) 

I left my home in Lawra on September 30 to begin the trek to Albania. I was excited about the pre-gathering training that I would attend, a class on Team Leadership. And, excited to see all those friends and colleagues that I haven't seen for ages. And, excited to attend the sessions ranging from Inductive Bible Study to sessions on the Shame and Honor Cultures. Life was good! The flights were close, but, hassle free. I signed in. I took the Team Leadership class. For three days life was really good. 

Then, a day to rest. Hmmm...I wasn't very hungry and there was real, recognizable food! I was cold, I felt as if it might snow. Maybe I was tired. So, I napped. The next day, the official opening of the Gathering, I fought with myself to stay awake. At the first break, I spoke with my Field Leader. I had a fever. I went to bed. I was freezing. Then, I was sweating. Ugh! Malaria! I started the malaria meds and went to bed. For two days I couldn't eat. I drank as much as I could, but, it wasn't much. One of the doctors would check on me. People brought me tea and other good stuff to drink. I crawled further under the blankets. After missing two full days, I cried, "Why? Why, Lord? Why did I travel all this way just to stay in my room? I want to go home (to Lawra)." I felt awful.

Then, a still, small Voice reminded me that even though I live alone in Lawra, I am not alone. I have the God of the Universe looking after me. I have a family that is made up of all kinds of people who watch over me and take care of me. Yes, malaria was not what I had planned for this trip. But, God showed me I am far from being alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment