Saturday, October 31, 2015

The Gathering


The Albania Gathering is history. "What's that?" you say. Well, simply put, a Gathering is a conference for personal and professional development. A time to connect with colleagues who work in the same hemisphere as I do, to fellowship, be encouraged and worship. The Gathering in Albania was for those Cross Cultural Witnesses who work with The Mission Society in Europe, Asia and Africa. It is held every two years.

I arrived in Shengjin, Albania on October 3. It was a lovely morning, a bit cloudy and a little rain. But, a nice break from the heat of Lawra! I had the day to rest and relax and investigate as well as greet others as they arrived. The Gathering didn't officially start for several days, but many of us arrived early for a pre-gathering training. I chose to take the Team Leadership training led by Todd Pevey from Exodus 1818 Ministries. The training was three days of all aspects of Team Leadership: how to build a team, creating a team vision and team goals, and putting it into practice! We took the APEST test, based on Ephesians 4, to determine our spiritual gifts. (I scored highest on Teacher, no surprise there! Then, one point lower, Evangelist and two points lower than Evangelist, Prophet!) The gifting of team members and size of team were other issues discussed. All in all, it was a great three days.

The next day was a day of meeting for various levels of leadership in The Mission Society. Which meant, I had a day off! Walking into town with friends and walking along the Adriatic Sea were some of our activities. But, I felt cold. I missed the African heat. Was it going to snow? Then, October 8, the Gather started! We met Hans, Franz and M, who, throughout the Gathering, taught us about formation, our spiritual formation and our ministry formation. I didn't learn too much that first session because I was fighting to stay awake. What was wrong with me? At break, I talked with my Field Leader and a doctor. I had malaria! So, off to bed I went. I missed three days...two of them I slept through! I missed sessions on Bible study. Spiritual Formation, Worship, Community, Mentoring, Regional Meetings, Prayer, Contingency Planning. And, I missed a trip to a castle!

Monday, I was well enough to join the group for awhile. I was able to be a part of the session that talked about Shame and Honor Cultures, something that answered some questions for me! And, I attended a session on working within a Muslim area. On Monday, I was also awarded my 10 year service recognition for working with The Mission Society 10+ years. (10 years was Nov. 2014.) Tuesday was Bible Study, Infinity Groups and a State of The Mission Society Report by our president, Max Wilkens.

It was a great Gathering.Well worth the time and money, even with Malaria. The teaching was excellent. But, more importantly, to see that we are all connected. I am not alone in Lawra. I am part of something much, much bigger. I am part of a community who loves the Lord and acts on it daily, many of them who risk their lives to do so. I am looking forward to the next Gathering in two years! 

No comments:

Post a Comment