Saturday, October 31, 2015

Just Like Home, Only Better


I left my home in Lawra on September 30, what seems like a lifetime ago. The original plan was to travel to Albania to attend a conference, enjoy a few days of touring, return to Ghana and enjoy a few days at the beach and return to Lawra by October 22 or 23, at the latest. Now, it is October 31. And guess where I am! In Accra, Pokawase, to be exact. I am staying at a friend's house, which I lovingly call "The Jackson Inn." A few medical issues have kept me here in the south where doctors and dentists are readily available. There is a hotel advertized at the airport in Johannesburg, South Africa called The Jackson Inn. It's selling point, "Just Like Home, Only Better."

That's how my Jackson Inn is, just like home, only better. I have my own room...just like home. I have good food from which to choose my meals....better than home. I have a driver to take me shopping and to the dentist...better than home. There are friends to take me to the doctor (a really nice clinic)...better than home. There is a pharmacy close by with medicines that are not available in Lawra...better than home. Hot showers...better than home. Solar panels for when the lights go off...better than home. A clothes washing machine...better than home. And, there are friends around (who I don't see very often) to fuss over me and encourage me and with whom I can spend time...better than home.

But, home is where the heart is. It is where my bed is. It is where my study Bible is. It is where Slake, my stuffed giraffe is. And, even though I love being at the Jackson Inn, I miss Lawra. Oh, don't get me wrong...I am very grateful I am here at the Inn. I have had a broken crown which resulted in a root canal, and illnesses which put me in a clinic for several hours with an IV drip and very low blood pressure. October has not been a healthy month for me. But, if I needed to be sick, being at the Jackson Inn is the best place to be! God has truly shown me, I am not alone here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment