Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Anger or Compassion - What Is Your Choice?

 
Many times, as I read Scripture, something that I always took for granted jumps out at me. I was reading about Jesus' ministry and the thing that jumped out at me was His compassion. He looked out at the crowds and had compassion for them...they were like sheep without a shepherd. Jesus performed miracle to glorify the Father, but, I also believe that He did what no human could ever do because He had compassion for them. If Jesus was 100% human without being God, too, I am sure that He would have gotten angry more often. He may have wanted "His own space." He was always being pulled towards people and their needs. It wasn't often when Jesus heard a "Thank you." And, did anyone truly understand who He was and what His mission was all about while Jesus walked the earth? He was patient because of His compassion. He touched the untouchables because of His compassion. There was a time, He told the same basic story three times, so people would "get it" because of His compassion. (Lost sheep, coin and son in Luke 15.)
 
Then, I look at myself, at my actions, reactions, thoughts towards people. Are they always compassionate? I think not. My initial reaction oftentimes is to get upset, or angry, although I don't often act on that reaction. I forget that I am an American, with a different world view than the people with whom I work. We have been taught differently. We accept different behaviors as normal. We have different ideas on what should be done in many circumstances. It is OK to do things differently. People who live here know what works, I don't. (example -my garden!)
 
I know that I need to see what Jesus sees more often, not what Sue sees. I need to feel in my heart what the Lord feels. I need to pray more often and more seriously for the people with whom I work. Yes, there will be times of teaching and testing, both of myself and the people. We'll get through those times. God will bless us because of them...because He will be glorified. I will learn. The people of Kalsagri will learn. And, our lives will be a better reflection of the One we serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment