Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Household god


What does this picture look like to you? To me, it looks like a pile of rocks with two sticks standing up in it. To the people who live in the compound where I saw this, it is a "household god" or "family god." This surprised me because I know that the people who live in this compound are Christian, they go to my church. At least some of them are and do.
 
I asked about this "god." I knew that ancestors are very important in this area. This "god" is the "god" of the grandfather of the family. The grandfather has passed and so has everyone of his generation. So, I asked, "If the grandfather is dead, why not destroy the 'god?'" "Oh, Mama, we can't do that." was the response I was given. "Why? I am just a nasapog (white woman), I don't understand." "Because the community will not allow it." "The community? As in the elders of the community?" "Yes, Mama. They will not allow it." "What will happen if your father destroys the 'god?'" "The community will get angry and my father will have to pay some money." "What happens if he doesn't pay?" They will come for him." And so the conversation went on.
 
It is obvious that there is fear involved in removing the idol. There are others inside the house, too. So, are people living for Jesus but, hanging onto their Traditional beliefs? Or are people really afraid to rid their homes of "gods" made out of wood and stone? Please pray for the people of Kalsagri, that fear would give way to the peace of Christ and that people would be willing to stand up for their beliefs. Ghana is a Christian nation. Here, in the Upper West, not so much. May people embrace the One who gave His life so they may be free of such things and live life to the fullest!


No comments:

Post a Comment