Thursday, December 26, 2013

Kindred Spirits


 
Two of the best words I have heard since living in Ghana were spoken by my good friend, Tula. She said to me, "We're coming!" She said more, of course, but those words...so sweet! I have had some visitors while living in Lawra, but, they were visitors who were making "the rounds," visiting other projects and missionaries here in Ghana. But, now, Tula was coming. YAY! (Her husband Gary came, too.) I am still amazed that they traveled for almost three weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas!
 
Tula had so many roadblocks while preparing to come, including her passport getting "lost" after she mailed it for her visa. She ended up having to get a new passport and had to do her paperwork for her visa several times because it got lost or misplaced. She ended up in the emergency room three days before she was to fly here...seeing a surgeon was suggested. But, she packed her meds in her carry on and came anyway. I wondered what God had in store for her because of all she had to go through to get here. The day for her arrival came and I met her and Gary at the airport.
 
Oh, I cannot tell you how good it was to see her here. We relaxed in Accra, then, I took the bus home while she and Gary rode with another friend, taking it easy until she felt better. By the time she arrived in Lawra, she was exhausted, but happy.
 
During the next two weeks, I was able to show both Gary and Tula, life in Lawra, Kalsagri, and introduce them to my Ghanaian family. Gary went out & about with John Gandaa, doing his agriculture thing. Tula and I visited Kalsagri by way of motorcycle! We visited the tea shop, ate tilapia, talked about ministry and about life. We played with the kids (with Gary) and watched Christmas movies. Gary cooked okra! (It was good. Who knew?) We talked about the possibilities of ministry for future trips. We dreamt. We laughed. And, when I saw them walking into the airport to leave, there were tears in my eyes. Having Tula here was such an encouragement. Such a balm to my entire being. I thank God for friends like Tula and Gary.
 
God has given me many friends with whom I can share my life and they can share theirs. But, it is not often you come across a "kindred spirit." When that gift is given to you, treasure her/treasure him. For they are truly a gift from God!

No comments:

Post a Comment