Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas in Lawra

 
Christmas is a magical time, no matter where one might live. Customs my be different, social and economic may be different, but to me, it is all magical, especially when you see the joys and blessings of Christmas through the eyes of a child. Above is Raymond, the son of a friend of mine. He and his brothers LOVED playing with the nativity set. It didn't matter that the angel was missing, good ol' Joe stepped in to fill the part. The Christmas story was told and retold and acted out numerous times. And, the fact that there was music and lights didn't seem to bother them at all, even after the 57th time!
 
 
Christmas in Lawra is celebrated with family and friends. Big shopping, as people do in the USA, isn't done. Most people cannot afford to shop. They will scrimp and save and try to get the best deals on special food for the day, possibly chicken and rice, and new clothing that will be worn the whole year through. The main part of my Christmas shopping was buying three LIVE chickens, one each for three of my friends, including the pastor.
 
 
Christmas Eve Service in Kalsagri was at 9:30 in the morning. (This old white lady does not drive a motorcycle at night.) Over 100 people showed up to worship, sing, dance and hear the Word of God. After the service, a Christmas surprise...clothing left for the people by the Bishop and dresses for the girls made by my sister-in-law, Anita, and her friends.
 
 
Everyone had a good time going through the clothes and choosing some for their family...and just trying on stuff for the fun of it!
 
After church, Sydney and Leahy, two of my Peace Corps friends, came over and we "settled in for a long winter's nap."...we ate, made cookies, drank hot chocolate with marshmallows and watched Christmas movies (in Christmas jammies)! And, we went to sleep hoping Santa would find us!
 
 
Christmas Day found us in Church again. Dancing, singing, praising God. Numbers were down on Christmas Day..."only" 95! Leahy came to Kalsagri to see the church and to hear me preach. She is such a good sport...as I posted on Facebook: "White Jewish woman dances in black Methodist Church on Christmas Day!" Next, came the making of the feast and the savoring of it. Thanks to people back in the USA, we had the fixings for a wonderful meal!


 
Friday, I showed "The Nativity Story" at Kalsagri Church. Fifty six people squeezed into a small room, to watch the movie on a computer screen, with only two little speakers. And, they were ALL attentive...except for the two who fell asleep!

 
I did exchange gifts with Sydney and Leahy, I had something (a chicken) for the pastor, Mr. Gandaa and Fortune, and I had gifts for Razak, Dora, Kataali, Habib, and Hassan...but, I did not expect this...my fist LIVE Christmas chicken. It was from Razak and his family. The first thing the chicken did when I put it down was poop on my veranda! He was going to be dead meat, which, actually, he is...in my refrigerator. He will be cooked today!

 
Depending on where you live, your life's circumstances, your Christmas may have looked a bit different than mine. The truth of the matter is, Christmas isn't in the celebrations, it isn't in the gift giving/receiving, it isn't even in the food or family customs, Christmas is the celebration of our Saviour's birth. Jesus Christ left the glory of heaven to be born as a tiny baby. He experienced all those feelings and emotions that we do, and yet, in all circumstances, He trusted His Father...even all the way to the cross. He came to save me...He came to save you...Have you invited Him to live in your heart?
 
Come into my heart, come into my heart,
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus,
Come in today, come in to stay,
Come into my heart, Lord Jesus!


No comments:

Post a Comment