Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Difference a Week Can Make!

It has been a very busy week! Last Sunday was the first service in almost three years at the Kalsagri Methodist Church. The roof was falling down, the floor was coming up. The walls were in various stages of falling apart. Windows are needed. A door is needed, too. There are no benches to sit on and no drums to play. Yet, people came. People came because there was worship in their village. Is everyone who came a believer? I doubt it. I can see juju on the children. But, give us time. Allow the Holy Spirit to work.
 
When asked what was needed for the church, a new roof was decided on by the people worshipping last week. During the week, an estimate was gotten and approved. And, work began. Off with the old, on with the new.
 
It was also a big week for me. This past week, I drove my motorcycle by myself. I wanted to see what was happening as the work on the roof was being done. So, I drove by myself. The first ride went pretty well, thanks be to God! My arrival at the church wasn't as smooth as I would have liked it...no, I didn't fall or crash...it just wasn't smooth. But, the next day was much better. And, in that time, I actually passed a car! Oh, I suppose I should be truthful and let you know that this particular car was parked! The second day I drove, there was PLENTY of traffic. I drove out to the village twice. And, I saw a total of three trucks, six cars and about twelve motorcycles!
 
The new roof looks quite fine! The carpenter also made a cross with two pieces of wood, one old piece and one new piece and attached it to the church. So, when people came to church today, they saw the cross, they saw the new roof. And, they thanked God for them. Our worship was amazing! People with so little can really praise God! Today there were 86 people at service. Last week there were 59. Next week is Market Day. So, we will have service at 7 AM. I'm not sure how many will come. But, those who come will worship!
 
Being at this little church has really helped me put things into perspective. There is a six week old baby, Vikpenibe, who is so very tiny. His mother has no breast milk. There is a six year old boy, Zumeyuor, who is deaf and dumb. There is a five year old girl, Naamal, who has a major malformation of her mouth. What kind of services are there for these children? Who will help them? National Health Insurance will not cover the types of expenses they will incur. And, I, I complain that some of my supporters have quit giving or are giving less. What is that compared to these issues? Lord, I trust you with these children and with my small petty problems. I want to keep my eyes on You.  Help me be your hands and feet at this church, in the village and everywhere I go. Because of the difference You have made in my life, help me make a difference in the lives of others. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment