Friday, January 25, 2013

Gandy's Cove Visit, Part 2


The snow and ice finally melted, the outside temperatures were high enough that people could safely drive, so I was back on "schedule," a revised schedule! Friday evening, a dinner was held at the Gandy's Cove Church so people could meet me and I could meet them. After a delicious meal, which included Dairy Delight chicken, I presented a program sharing stories of my special needs kids and some of the beliefs of the Traditional religion practiced in the area. The pastor and his family had lived in Ghana for five years and I was so happy to reconnect with them again!
 
 
Saturday began our scheduled R & R...a visit to Alabama's Gulf Shores! Carol was kind enough to be the hostess for a "Wild Women Weekend" and four of us left bright and early for warmer temperatures. It was so good to be with these women again! What a blessing! We made a stop or two along the way, then had dinner at the Tin Top Restaurant and Oyster Bar. Afterwards, we went down to the beach to watch the sunset. I was amazed at all the colors in the sky. It was beautiful! 

 
Sunday, I woke up early and made coffee, taking it to the beach with me. I watched the sunrise. I thanked God for all the blessings He has given me, especially this week. The sky was gorgeous! The day was filled with worship, walking along the beach, relaxing in the hot tub and enjoying the company of wonderful friends. Monday came way too soon and we headed back north!
 

 
Tuesday was filled with some of the things that were cancelled the week before...typhoid meds, lunch at Gibson's Bar B Que and a few hours at the United Cerebral Palsy Center. I met some therapists there who answered all my questions and who will be great resources for the future. And, the parents I met with their children...what a blessing to have had our lives cross for even a short time.Such love and commitment. These families love their children and work so hard with them, day in and day out, with no break. May God bless them!

 
Late Tuesday afternoon, I attended a basketball game (Go, Wildcats!) and had dinner at Cricket's, a favorite place to eat. I had heard so much about it. And, it was good! Everything I heard about it was true. I was able to share with Dr. Danny some ideas for his upcoming mission trip, ideas of things that worked or didn't work on trips I had been on previously. Then, in the parking lot, Dr. Danny, his wife and son all prayed for me. It was hard saying, "Good bye."
 
Then, it was time to go "home" and pack. Wednesday morning, I would leave for Erie. To my Alabama family, I say, "God be with you 'til we meet again."

No comments:

Post a Comment