Thursday, January 24, 2013

Gandys Cove Visit, Part 1


Last week, I had the privilege to visit a great group of people in Gandy's Cove, Alabama. (Roll Tide!) I arrived in Huntsville on Tuesday morning and was met by my friend and soul mate, Karen and her husband, Larry. Although it was raining, the temperatures were balmy...in the 40s. Ahhh! Lunch was in Huntsville with Dr. Danny and his wife, Rosario. I feel as if I have know them forever. Dr. Danny even prescribed my typhoid meds for me so I wouldn't have to track down the health department in Erie to get them. I found out at lunch that the basketball game I was to attend was cancelled because of ice on the roads. (Go Wildcats!) When we arrived at Karen's house, my room had fresh cut flowers and a bath set with soap and lotion and lots of fun stuff to pamper myself while there.
 
 
My schedule was set for the week. On Wednesday, I would just hang out and relax. So, we visited the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. We saw lots of space capsules and even a space shuttle. I crawled into the mercury capsule. (It was not a pretty sight, me getting in and out. Karen likes me enough that she didn't take a picture of that!) An IMAX movie of the Hubble telescope and a visit to Miss Baker's grave (the first Monkeynaut) completed our excursion. Wednesday evening, I was able to celebrate Isaac's birthday with his family. It was really good to see these co-workers for the Kingdom in a relaxed setting and to share stories of ministry.

Thursday, I was to pick up my typhoid meds and spend a few hours at the Cerebral Palsy Center in Huntsville. And, Friday was a Bible study breakfast with some women from Gandy's Cove UMC. Instead, there was four inches of snow and everything was cancelled and / or closed down. It was nice sitting in front of the wood stove watching Celtic Thunder, but I was anxious to do the things that were scheduled. I guess God had other plans, R & R!
 
I sometimes don't take time for myself. Don't take time for friends, to really develop those relationships. This was the perfect time to do that. It took me a little while, but, I was able to be grateful to God for the down time, for the BEAUTIFUL scenery and for getting everyone home safe! Lessons learned or reinforced...take time for me, relationships and gratefulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment