Thursday, November 8, 2012

brave...?


It has been awhile since I have used a Bible study book. Usually, I use Scripture and glean from what I read. Since I am in the land "flowing with Christian books and studies," I decided to see what was available. My first stop was in Chambersburg, at the Lifeway store. I was with friends of mine and they blessed me with books to take back to Ghana with me. Next, I stopped at my church to see what they had leftover from studies held there. I found this study, brave, honest questions women ask. And, I knew I found a study to work on during the remainder of my time here in the States.
 
The first lesson really described me. the question was, "Lord, do You know I am worn out...again?" That has been my life since I touched down in Pittsburgh on September 4. Worn out. Always on the road. Always packing and unpacking. Always speaking about my mission work in Lawra, Ghana. Always preparing for class  Always getting ready for the next thing. Always tired. Always exhausted. Always weary.
 
Since I am always doing the above, there is the opposite, too. Never sleeping in the same bed more than a few nights in a row. Never feeling settled. Never feeling finished with what has to be done. never saying, "no, I can't come and speak." Never finished with class. Never totally refreshed and renewed.
 
Enter brave. God knows I am weary. God knows this is a season of fund raising and speaking engagements. God also is my strength in my weariness. He says, "Come to Me, all you who are weary and I will give you REST." Matthew 11:28 My rest is in Him.
 
Another point brought out in the study is that Jesus did not heal everyone who was sick, He did not minister to everyone who came to Him. He only did what the Father told Him to do. It's a lesson for me. It is perfectly acceptable to respond, "I'll pray about it." And, if God is showing me that I need to take a Sunday off to worship Him, then so be it! Being in His presence restores my soul, it restores me. That is the purpose of the Sabbath rest, isn't it?
 
So, for now, I will be open to what God has for me...His strength and His rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment