Monday, November 12, 2012

Drainers and Gainers

 
"Drainers and Gainers." Have you ever thought about them? If you are like most people, there are ever present in your life. I know they are in mine. "Drainers"...those things in my life that drain the energy from me, they sap away my strength. It seems as if I have a lot of those lately...a VERY hectic speaking schedule, constantly packing and unpacking, doctor's appointments, travel, a cluttered table, piles of stuff to pack for Ghana, homework...and there is always the stuff I should do, but haven't, like my newsletter and weekly team updates.
 
Praise God, there are also "Gainers" in my life...things that energize me. Things like worship in my heart language, lunch with a friend, quiet time with God, being with my sister, seeing the hand of God work in my life and in the lives of others, clearing a pile of "stuff' and finding a place for all of it, being able to sleep in "my own" bed, being thankful, making a card or scrap booking, a good Bible study, taking a Sabbath rest, walking...those things help me get motivated to do more, they revitalize my life.
 
But, what do we do when the drainers outnumber the gainers? I try to reduce my drainers by one or two each week. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Other times, I have to "just say 'no!'" to whatever is being asked of me. I also try to increase the gainers. I NEED to have my quiet time with the Lord. I NEED to thank God for my many blessings. I NEED to sleep! I NEED to be with my sister, in person, or on the phone. I NEED to make progress in de-cluttering my life.
 
In the end, the gainers have to outnumber the drainers. If not, exhaustion takes place. Then, what good am I? I thank God that He has given me the wisdom to discern what drains me and what doesn't. And, I am grateful to Him for those who help me see, when I am blind to the stresses in my life. I need to remain in Him and remember, He gave us the Sabbath for a reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment