Thursday, November 1, 2012

Who Are Your Saints?

 
Today, the Christian Church celebrates All Saints Day. Growing up Catholic, this was an important part of life. We would go to church and remember those who have gone before us in the faith. We would remember those who have walked this earth to the glory of God and have now received their heavenly reward. Many of the people we remembered gave their lives for their faith.
 
Now I am a lot older, and, hopefully, a bit wiser. All Saints Day has a different meaning for me. Well, maybe not different, maybe just expanded. I no longer stop at thinking of the apostles, matriarchs and patriarchs of the faith. Now, I can put faces to names. I have read about modern day "saints". My concept of "saint" has evolved over the years.
 
Webster's Dictionary defines "saint" as:  one officially recognized especially through canonization as preeminent for holiness; one of the spirits of the departed in heaven; one of God's chosen and usually Christian people; one eminent for piety or virtue; an illustrious predecessor.
 
One of the definitions I would like to add is a saint is a person, who has lived their life for the glory of God. Many saints suffer in this world because of their faith. When I think of "saints," I picture Patience, a woman who attends my church in Lawra. She comes to church every time it is open, walking more than a half hour, and she is there at 5 am for morning prayer! She has a family, a business, and her husband is a Traditionalist. She has had to endure many hardships because of her faith. I think of another woman, whose husband took a second wife. Yet, the first one remains faithful and is growing in her faith. I think of Beatrice's mother, who carries her disabled 12 year old on her back to town, to church, and never loses faith. I think of the single mothers that I know, who face immense odds every day, yet, they have instilled a holy fear and love of God in their children. I think of those, both living and dead, who have impacted my life. Saints...maybe not in the formal eyes in some denominations, but, in my eyes, they are saints. And, too, I think of those many children whose lives have been cut short because of disease. Saints, each and every one of them.
 
Who are the Saints in your life? Today, stop and thank God for the impact they have had on your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment