Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Where Do I Put My Trust?

I have several friends, both Ghanaian and American, who have asked me to think twice, if not three times, about traveling on the bus to and from Accra at night. Armed robbers lurk around some of these roads during the darkest part of the trip. A few times, I traveled a day or two after robberies during which lives were taken.


The bus I usually travel on is an OA bus. This company schedules several buses to leave within a half hour of the first to the last so that the drivers and mates can keep track of each other and help out one another if needed. Oh, and they have a policeman with an AK 47 sitting in the front seat. So, I have felt pretty safe.



Shortly before leaving for Accra, Razak traveled at night. The vehicle in front of his bus - not a bus, but an open truck with people crammed in it - was robbed. About six people died. He did NOT want me to travel at night. But, I told him of the number of buses traveling together and about the police, not giving it a second thought. Until...



Until my return trip from Accra. We were all seated on the bus. The driver was pulling out of the "station." And, I realized there was no AK 47 with a policeman attached to it. Ah...how can this be? How can this happen? Then, a thought hit me...I do not trust in chariots, or gods made out of stone or even AK 47s. I put my trust in the LORD.  And, I settled down to a quiet, uneventful trip north to Wa. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment