Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Sacrifice to...



A week ago, I was at the river with some friends. It was the day after Easter and there is typically a big Easter Monday picnic there. But, when we arrived, no one was there. People had been encouraged to picnic at the park in town since there was rain during the night and because of the drowning the previous week. But, most of us were not local Ghanaians, so we ended up at the river for some of our festivities.

As  I was walking around, I noticed a big pile of feathers. So, I asked my friend what they were from. the reply was, "There was a killing here." I said, "What?" "There was a killing, a sacrifice." The local people who are part of the Traditional religion believe that the man drowned because in some way, the god of the river was unhappy. So, the man's life was taken. The sacrifice of fowl was to appease the god of the river so that there would be no more deaths and that fishermen would enjoy a safe and prosperous fishing season.

Scripture says:
6 It isn’t sacrifices and offerings that you really want from your people.
 Burnt animals bring no special joy to your heart.
 But you have accepted the offer of my life-long service.
Psalms 40:6 (TLB)

I pray that the people in this community will come to know the LORD God Almighty and worship Him alone...and offer the sacrifice of :"life-long service," bringing others to Christ. 


No comments:

Post a Comment