Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter - Holiday or Holy Day?



Happy Easter, everyone! Today is an important day for those who follow Jesus. Yet, even among Jesus followers, there is a wide spectrum of how people celebrate. As I was reading various FaceBook posts last night, I wondered what has happened to us as American followers of Jesus? Now, don't get all upset, I know there are exceptions to what I am about to say. I even posted some "cute" Easter stuff on FB. Yet, what caught my attention was all the gift giving...Easter baskets, candy, new clothes and MAJOR toys. I am part of that culture, too. I like to spoil kids when I can. But, why can't we give our children these gifts just because we love them, because God has blessed us and we want to share the blessing, without connecting them to such an important date/remembrance of our faith. I wonder, do parents spend as much time talking about the risen Lord and what Easter really means as they do taking time to Easter shop, cook, dye eggs, etc.? Does how you spend your time reflect what you believe about this day? Does mine?

Here in Lawra people celebrate the Holy Day by worshipping the one, true God - if they are followers of Jesus. They celebrate victory over death. They celebrate the fact that even though on Friday things looked impossible, but today, Sunday, a miracle happened - we follow a risen Savior. People will have Easter picnics tomorrow. They will visit with family and friends. But, today, the message is this: Christ has risen. He has risen indeed! Today is a HOLY DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment