Sunday, March 25, 2012

Jeri-Ba


Yesterday I went to Kasalgr for some "holy hanging around"time. I spent most of my time with the children. But, even before I started hanging out with the kids, I saw a woman sitting by herself, looking as if she was very worried about something. So, I sat down next to her and began to speak with her. This woman's name is Jeri-ba. She was born in the town of Jeripa, so her parents named her after the town. She has been blind since infancy, she said something happened to her and she became blind. She doesn't remember ever seeing at all. She is very bitter about her blindness. Here, in the Upper West, a women's worth is placed on her ability to fetch water and to farm. Jeri-Ba cannot do those things.

I tried to encourage Jeri-Ba. She has an amazing sense of hearing. I told her that I don't know why God allows some people to be blind. But I do know that He has a purpose for her life. He did NOT abandon her. As she sits, she could pray for the farmers, for the crops, even for the children that she hears playing. If she opens her ears to the voice of God, there are all kinds of possibilities. In my mind, I can see her becoming "Maakum" (Grandmother) to so many little ones.

I ask you to pray for Jeri-Ba. Pray that she would experience the love of God. Pray that she would hear God's voice. Pray that she would be open to the possibilities that God has for her. I will pray, too. And, I will visit her, and I will be her friend, encouraging her and helping her to "see" what God has in store for her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment