Thursday, March 22, 2012

Roots


This is the dry season in Lawra. And as I look around Lawra and the surrounding area, all I see is dirty brown dirt, lots of it. Dust is in the air and everyplace else. Everything is tinted with brown. Even the leaves of my house plants! There is hardly any color - except the few trees and other plants that have deep roots. This is a harsh time for the people who live here, especially for those who make their living by farming. They have small house gardens right now so they will have food to eat.

Roots...deep roots...the trees and plants with deep roots can survive the "storms" of the season.

It makes me wonder; to ponder...today I heard about or talked with at least five people whose families are going through major storms of life...HIV positive, ICU, a death, etc. How do people cope? I know years ago when I went through a season of storms I barely got through it. It was my faith that kept me going, even though to me it seemed almost non-existent. Just like here, where only those plants with deep roots survive, it is those people who have deep roots of faith that will survive the crisis of life. I know I couldn't get through all the circumstances and pain in my life without Christ. And, I know others can't either. He will not leave you. He will not leave me. That comforts me. I hope it comforts you, too.

10 Fear not, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed. I am your God. I will strengthen you; I will help you; I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10 (TLB)

1 comment: