Saturday, January 14, 2012

Hidden Dangers


There are several dangerous here in the Upper West Region of Ghana that I have never experienced at home in the US. For example…I never gave malaria a thought. I would NEVER ride a motorcycle without a helmet (if I ever rode a motorcycle). I wouldn’t eat “mystery” food or questionable looking food. All these are dangers that you can easily see with your eyes.

Here, in the northern part of Ghana, there are two hidden dangers (There are plenty others) that I would like to point out. One would be my dead “friend” pictured above. I found him in my living room this morning. Yes, a scorpion. While living in western Pennsylvania I never worried about scorpions! Here, they do live and thrive and are very dangerous to your health!

The other danger that is around this time of year is cerebral meningitis. It’s something you can’t see, but again, it is very dangerous to your health. I have been told that if you have cerebral meningitis and you are sick for three days, you will survive. Most people die within 24 hours!

I am reminded of a passage of Scripture that I read this morning:
1 But now, thus says the Lord, who created you, O Jacob, And He who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; You are Mine. 2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, Nor shall the flame scorch you. 3 For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior; I gave Egypt for your ransom, Ethiopia and Seba in your place. 4 Since you were precious in My sight, You have been honored, And I have loved you; Therefore I will give men for you, And people for your life. 5 Fear not, for I am with you;
Isaiah 43:1-5 (NKJV)

1 comment:

  1. God bless you Sue, I don't think I could be in a place where scorpions scurry about or malaria socks you in the jaw! I guess God would have to convince me that it would be the thing to do...
    He would have to call me or come to see me and say it out loud..I only hope that I would be willing to go where He sends me.. You are an obedient servant...

    ReplyDelete