Saturday, January 14, 2012

Simple Things


I tend to take the simple things of life for granted. Many of my friends have provided me with some of these “simple things” since I have been here in Ghana. I am VERY appreciative of all they send. But, I don’t appreciate it as much as those mentioned below:
Razak’s mother had been in the District Hospital for almost two weeks. She had been complaining that her lips were sore. So, I gave Razak a package of Chap Stick for his mother. Later, after she had been home for a while, I spoke with her on the phone. I understood her Dagaare (by the grace of God) until she began to thank me for something. I had no idea what I had done that would cause her to thank me so much. So, I gave the phone to Razak. She was thanking me for the Chap Stick. Her lips were healed and she was doing well.
Dery had a sore on his hand. It wasn’t healing. And, his children were getting sick. The only thing he could think of was the water they were drinking wasn’t clean. So, I made arrangements for his family to have a water filter. He called me a week later to thank me. His hand was healing and his family was enjoying better health…all because of clean water.
Patrick goes to the Bethel Methodist Society in Lawra. He has leprosy. His feet are about half the size of the feet of someone without leprosy. His shoes were worn out. So, he mentioned it to someone at church who gave him funds for a new pair. He also said that he is cold at night because he had no blanket. Later that day, we took him a blanket to use during these colder nights of Harmatan season. Patrick was so touched that he wanted to pray for us before we left.
Chap Stick, water, shoes, a blanket…when have I done without? When have you done without? Yet, do I ever think to thank God for these “simple things” in life? Father, forgive me and thank You!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Sue, for keeping me humble and thankful to my Heavenly Father for all that I have, all that I take for granted, and all that I could do without.

    ReplyDelete