Monday, January 16, 2012

Father, Forgive Us!


Yesterday was a "normal" Sunday in the local church I attend. The service was scheduled to start at 9:30. It began at 10:00. The prayers, the responses, everything was done in English. I was sitting on my bench feeling a bit guilty because nothing was said or prayed or read in the local language. Then, it was time for the Scriptures to be read. After the first reading, in English, a voice from the back of the church asked the Scripture to be "read" in Dagaare. The second, third and gospel scriptures were read - in English. My heart was breaking... This time, Patrick, the owner of the voice, stood up and asked the pastor why the Scriptures were not "read" in Dagaare. By this time tears were in my eyes. The pastor then asked someone translate the message as he preached, but the Word of God from the Bible was never translated yesterday. As soon as I could, I went to Patrick (who is blind and has leprosy), I apologized to him. I told him, "My heart was broken because Dagaare was not spoken."

"May God open our hearts and our minds and our eyes and ears to the needs of His people. God, forgive us!"  

2 comments:

  1. Remember the scripture reading where the disciples spoke in tongues? The words may not be understood in a native language but the feeling and spirit of the words can be comprehended no matter what language they are. May this be the beginning of understanding of the Word of the Lord.

    ReplyDelete