Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Waiting...a Way of Life


Life in Ghana is definitely a LOT slower than it is in America, a LOT slower! People take their time. In Lawra, very few people wear a watch. Time is "told" by the position of the sun. So, if it is a cloudy day, people will be late for church, appointments, whatever they have scheduled. I like the slower paced life style, I don't like the waiting!

This past week or so, I had experienced quite a bit of this new way of life. The plumber said he would be at my house at noon. He never showed up. The Internet connection was slow, at best. Email was impossible to access even though I kept trying. Another person told me they were, "On the way coming." They arrived an hour and a half later. A friend told me that they would pick up some items from my house...they never showed. I wait for a vehicle to fill before I travel to Wa - sometimes two hours! Even church rarely starts when it is scheduled.

So, the lesson to be learned is basically "get used to it. Accept it. Always carry a book" because an entire culture isn't going to change just for me. It's that or get upset about it on a daily basis. I chose to accept the things I cannot change! 


No comments:

Post a Comment