Saturday, February 26, 2011

Market Day



Yesterday I went to market. (Market day is every six days.) My friend, Razak, led the way as we rode our bicycles to town. Razak was going to show me how to buy a good chicken, which, by the way, would be alive. When we arrived at the market, we first looked at the chickens. It was about 3PM and all the “good” chickens were gone. So, I will have to wait another six days. But, I did get a tour of the market. I bought a basket and was shown the proper Dagaare way to carry it.

I also learned how to tell if the okra was fresh. I bought lettuce & green peppers & a watermelon! Razak also showed me the meat shops. I was glad to see there were screens in the windows. But, to my American mind, it seems so wrong to buy fresh meat in 99 degree temperatures. There were some interesting pieces of pork that I did not buy.

After my tour and practicing my greetings, we rode home. I had a watermelon and my veggies in my front basket and my new Upper West Region basket on the back of my bike. People seem to be amazed that I have embraced some of the local ways already! After I got home, I washed my produce & now I am enjoying some cold watermelon. Thank you, Lord!

2 comments:

  1. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,
    I would be eating eggs, not chickens if I had to kill them myself. Hope all is well I'll send a recipe for cooking OKRA, John's way.
    Hows the house working out for you, I heard you met the neighbors . i will check in with you later andie

    ReplyDelete