Thursday, February 24, 2011

Life in Lawra

Life here in Lawra is very exhausting! I try to get up early to do what needs to be done before Raymond Dery comes at 9 for my Dagaare lesson. I am amazed how much I have been able to pick up in a few days. I am far from fluent-that will take years, but I know the greetings & how to ask about home, family & work. I am learning the alphabet & if I hear the word correctly, I can spell it! I went into town this afternoon to buy bread and a few other items & people were so gracious in helping me learn the words that I didn’t know. I end up going into town or to the Lawra Integrated Health Centre (LIHC) most days to practice Dagaare before trying it on the town people. The problem with that is that it usually occurs in the heat of the day. Today it only reached 99 degrees. My ceiling fans are in, praise God & I have been able to sleep with my CPAP machine. I’m still not sure about A/C, although it would be great to have.

By the time I come home in the late afternoon, I am so hot & tired. I think today I have just lost my focus. I had a 2 ½ hr. lesson, did laundry, went to the Centre, went to town…and when I was fixing my lunch, I grabbed the knife, which I thought was in its protective sheath, but had easily come out of it. I cut the palm of my left hand, but not badly. I also stepped on something with my right foot. Marjorie checked it and there was nothing in my foot, so she cut off the hanging skin & cleaned it. When I got home, I used peroxide on it & antibiotic cream & a band aid. I don’t think I’ll be wearing sandals for a few days.

“Zu ne Lawra daa” (Tomorrow is Lawra market) and I am considering buying my first live chicken. Razak said he would show me how to slaughter it & get it ready for cooking. You can get legs & thighs from the cold store, but no white meat.

Prayer requests:
~ the healing of my hand & foot
~ the healing of my sinuses…it feels like I might be getting a sinus infection, but, maybe not. I’ll trust God!
~ finding “down time” that will "refresh” me without feeling guilty because I should be studying, etc.
~ the ability to recall and say Dagaare words & sentences appropriately.
~ the children and staff of the LIHC

1 comment:

  1. :Hi Sue,

    One of my favorite childhood memories was when Dad killed chickens...loved pulling out feathers..getting the biology lesson of seeing eggs developing in the ovaduct. Hope it goes well.

    Am praying for you and enjoy blog and facebook posts.

    Blessings and peace of the Lord,
    Eva Carol

    ReplyDelete