Thursday, January 27, 2011

Countdown: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6...

Iron sharpens iron,and one man sharpens another.
Proverbs 27:17 (HCSB)

Did you ever notice that if you spend too much time alone your mind seems to get a little dull. The excitement of life seems to wan, and for me, I get tired & feel sleepy. This morning, I was reading in the book of Proverbs. Chapter 27 verse 17 says: "Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." I know when I am involved with others, I am more alert, I learn from them, and, I grow personally. Case in point: last night I was at a friend's house while they were working on my computer. I was wide awake, until about 11PM. That is so unlike me! Yet, friends were around, conversation was good and I was learning about my new computer.

The same works in our spiritual life, too. When I am actively involved in a small group, in worship, with other Christians with whom I am able to talk and be accountable, my spiritual walk improves. I am closer to God. I don't panic right away when things go wrong, I take time to breathe and assess the situation and ask the Lord to lead me. When I take time to be with Him in the morning, I have a better outlook all day. Even when I don't think I have time, when I take the time to be with Him, He helps me through the day. Right now, I need His sharpening. And, I am not spending as much time with Him as I know I need. There is so much to do before Sunday, yet, that is no excuse. "Lord, forgive me. Let's talk, even now."

No comments:

Post a Comment