Friday, November 12, 2010

The Difference a Year Can Make!

A year ago I was hoping to be in Ghana by the end of June 2010 at the very latest. Obviously, that didn't happen. God had other plans. And, as usual, He knew what was best for me. This past year has been a a year of preparation for my move. But, it has also been much, much more.

In July 2009, I took the Holmes and Rahe stress test. I quit counting my score after I passed the 700 mark. Anything over 300 indicates that there is a possibility of having a stress related illness. I was a prime candidate. And, I could see how the stresses in my life were affecting me. I was behaving - acting and reacting - in ways that were foreign to my natural, God given personality and characteristics. I didn't like who I was at times. And, I knew I needed to do something about it.

So, I spoke to my pastors. I asked for help, for ideas on how to deal with the things in my life that gave me a 700+ score. I spent more time with God. I breathed deeply. I exercised. I learned how to relax. I tried to make better food choices. I took time for myself without feeling guilty! I spent time with family and friends. I began to see the importance of a Sabbath rest. I continue to learn to give things to Christ and leave them at the foot of the cross instead of worrying about them. All of these things, plus more, over the course of this past year, has made me a different person.

The person I am today is one who knows that the weight of her world is not on her shoulders, but on God's. And, if He is truly leading me someplace, He will absolutely provide for me. That doesn't mean it will be easy. But, I know I can depend on His words in Isaiah: "I have called you by your name; you are Mine. 2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you. 3 For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior; "Isaiah 43:1-3 (AMP)

I have no idea where this great adventure that I am on will end. I know I am excited, energized and ready to embrace what God has for me. And, as I prepare to move, I will be taking with me the lessons of this past year. A new, improved, more mature daughter of the Most High will be boarding that plane in February. May He receive all the glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment