Friday, February 22, 2008

Wa Fu Fu

Making Fu Fu


Fu Fu
This week I have been working from my brother's house in Erie, PA. Since his wife is out of town, I've been driving him around, cooking and doing a few other things that he has difficulty with since he had surgery three weeks ago. We've eaten a few of my favorite foods and a lot of his favorite foods. I feel as if I've gained 15 pounds this week.
There is only one problem I have with this. The food we have been eating isn't always good for us. There are too many choices of foods that aren't in the packaging that they were put in by God. When I eat too much of the other food altered by man, I gain weight, I don't ave as much energy, etc.
I ate lots of God packaged food while in Ghana. Fresh fruits and veggies were in abundance! I didn't have a Christmas turkey, I had a Christmas watermelon! Mmm...good! I tried some Ghanaian food, too. Fu fu is one I liked.
Fu Fu is made by pounding (wa) kasava and plantain together while another person in a way, kneads it, adding water when necessary. The fu fu gets to a bread dough consistency. Then, you shape it into balls bigger than a softball and put one in your bowl. After that, add soup. Next, wash your right hand and begin eating - with your right hand.
My first experience with fu fu was one I'd rather not remember. It was served with light soup, and I really didn't like it. But, then, the day after Christmas, I was at a friend's house. I was invited to eat fu fu with them. The fu fu was served with ground nut soup with chicken in the soup. It was delicious! Ground nut soup (peanut) is a thicker soup and clings to the fu fu. I Thoroughly enjoyed the fu fu this way!
I have to be pro active about the choices I make if I truly want to serve God with my entire being. I need to take care of my body, which includes watching what I eat, so I can continue to do the work He has called me to do. Please pray that I will be willing and able to do this.

3 comments:

  1. "Little bunny Fu Fu was hopping through the forest. Picking up the field mice and boppin' 'em on the head. Down came the good fairy and she said, 'Little bunny Fu Fu I don't want to see you, pickin' up the field mice and boppin' 'em on the head. I'll give you three wishes."
    (Okay, I'll quit. Sorry I just had to sing that little ditty.)

    Seriously, I appreciate your post Sue. Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that song, too. I think I even sang it in Ghana when I first heard of fu fu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story is so inspiring!
    God Bless you for the work that your doing.
    i wish one day to be doing the same. i have felt the missionary calling but for now i think God wants me to stay close to home. I know that when he is ready to send me He will open the doors so that i may join a missionary group.
    thank you for posting those pictures they are absolutely beautiful!! i have really grown to love the country of Africa and pray that i may get the chance to go there one day to help and spread the word of Jesus Christ. thank you again for posting those pictures, if you have any more i sure would love to see them.
    have a blessed day!

    -cinthia

    ReplyDelete