Monday, May 16, 2016

Expectations vs. Reality


It was Sunday morning in Accra. And...it was not only Sunday, but, Pentecost  Sunday. I was so excited. I was going to attend church at Asbury Dunwell with friends of mine. I had attended there in the past and I knew the service would be in ENGLISH! The prayers, the sermon, even the songs would be in English. For me, who preaches most Sundays and sings just a few songs because they are in Dagaare, this would be a real treat! Thank You, Jesus!


Steve came to the house to pick Gifty, the children and me and take us to church. He was  going to preach. Not only would I hear a sermon in English, but, it would be in American English! We get to the church. It was prayer time before the service. The prayers were in English! I was a happy camper! Then, the praise team came forward. The leader started to sing...What? What was that? I didn't hear. Maybe the speakers were too loud.Oh, now the words were on the screen. They were singing in TWI! Oh, no! Twi is their heart language, not mine! I wanted to sing in mine! I struggled along, looking forward to the next song.


Again, the leader begins. I listened. What? What was that? Something familiar, but not English...it was Spanish! Definitely not their heart language. Definitely not my heart language! After the song was finished, we did sing in English. But, in reality, it could have been in another language. I have been in Ghana over five years. Worship songs have changed. I didn't know the son that was being sung. 

I pondered what was happening. It was Pentecost Sunday. We weren't speaking in tongues, but we were singing in a variety of languages. How appropriate! As the service closed...a song, an oldie, but goodie, one I knew and loved..."Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on us..." Yes, Holy Spirit, fall afresh on us, today and everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment