Saturday, April 30, 2016

Lawra Be Fit Aerobics Club


It's Saturday morning! The weekend! YAY! I open my eyes just a bit to check the time. It's 5:08. I have to get up. I don't want to. I have to. Why? Because today is Saturday. Today is the meeting of the Lawra Be Fit Aerobics Club. I drag myself out of bed, get dressed, brush my teeth and walk to the basketball court in town. Today the court was filled with bottle caps, a broken beer bottle and droppings from a variety of four legged creatures. Henry has already started the music. Only one other person is there, so far. By the time we get into the more serious stuff, there are 8-15 of us. Obviously, I am the oldest, most are one third my age. Henry has us walk back and forth doing a variety of things with our arms. Then it comes...the Lawra version of the Step Exercises. We use the step around the cement gutter for our step. Oh! I do what I can, I can't always keep up. These young ones act as if they drank eight cups of high test coffee before they came. After a long fifteen or more minutes, we are finished with the step part of the programme. We go through an assortment of cardio exercises and stretches. We do high knee lifts, fancy footwork and they do hopping and jumping type stuff. I keep moving, but, I can't jump (knee replacements.) Then, we actually do floor exercises! Usually, we do sit ups...they do push ups. We do a selection of leg exercises. They plank. Henry tries to add some fun stuff. By the end of the class, I am ready for a nap and it is only 7:00 AM! But, it is good. I have been accepted into this younger group of people who call me "Maakum." (Grandmother)  We have an "Whats App" Group to pass along health information and notices about class. And, Henry has messaged me to find out how I am doing even when I tell him I am traveling and won't make it to class. I am not the best person when it comes to self care. But, this class, this group of young people have really enriched my life in more ways than one. Keep challenging me, Henry!

No comments:

Post a Comment