Sunday, December 20, 2015

Flexibility

Richard stepping in to lead worship.

What happens at your church when the musicians don't show up and the worship leader disappears? What about when you are ready to start the Christmas Pageant practice and Joseph has left the building? Or at least 50% of the sheep don't show up? All of this and more happened at Kalsagri today!

These children should be in church, instead, they are finding a snack growing high in a tree.

Church service would soon start. I was writing out the announcements for the day when I looked at my watch. Oh, we are late starting. I walk into the worship area. Evidently, I was not the only one late! There were not even twenty people at church! I looked for Nicodemus, so he could lead the worship service. Oh, he was no where to be found. I was thankful to see that Richard had returned from school for his Christmas break. He most willingly led the service until Nicodemus returned. When it was time to read the morning Bible passages, no one was prepared. Again, Richard helped out, as did Samuel who was also home from school. I was (and still am) very grateful for the two young men. 

A shepherdess and some of her sheep.

We were ready to sing our first song. The drummers weren't here - yet.So, we sang acapella. We sounded tired and half asleep! I am happy to report we improved as people joined us. Seventy eight people attended worship today.

Searching the Word of God for the Christmas story.

After church, we had Christmas Pageant practice. Ready? No! Joseph has left. He had another commitment in his home village, but will be here Christmas Day. Sabina was Joseph for our practice - again! Half of the sheep were missing. More were recruited. We were ready to start. 

Jesus, on a bed of ebony fruit, what sheep would eat in this part of the world!

Godwin, our narrator, did a great job again. The first run through was a bit shaky. They would do it again. After a few pointers, I took a back seat and did not say a word. Trust me, it was hard! Jesus was born and placed in a "manger," a bowl of ebony fruit that animals in Kalsagri would eat if it were available. The kids did a great job. After the second time through, everyone started eating the ebony. "What will be left for Baby Jesus' bed?" I asked. "Oh, we will bring more," was the response. I was glad to hear that!

So, despite this old, American woman, Christmas Pageant practice was fine. And, I believe God will be glorified when it is presented on Christmas Day. Praise the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment