Saturday, December 26, 2015

A Special Moment


It is my usual practice to have my devotional time and study time on my veranda in the morning. It is especially nice this time of year because of the much cooler morning temperatures. I can wrap myself up in my prayer shawl, a cup of tea close at hand and my basket of books by my side. All is well. And, all is quiet. Unitil, "Maakum! Maakum!" It is Boniface. "Good morning, Bone (pronounced "Bonnie")Did you come to read the Bible?" I already had a Children's Bible out on the extra chair...just in case.


So, Bone come onto the veranda and settles in the chair. "I want to read the story about Joseph." "Which Joseph? Jesus' Father?" "Yes, that one." We look for the Christmas story and continue where we left off, the story of the Three Kings. Boniface reads the easy words, as he is in first grade and can read some, and I read the hard words.


Boniface loves the picture of Jesus as a small boy. He called to toddler Jesus and Mary, His mother. They didn't answer Boniface. He watched the saying "Good-bye" to the Kings. Boniface really liked this portion of the Bible. He stared and stared at that picture. And, talked to it, too!


Boniface had enough of Bible study. He was ready to play. Before he left, we held hands and I prayed for my small friend. I thanked God for his excitement over Bible stories I take for granted. I prayed for his safety as he played. And, I prayed for the man that he would one day become. I treasure these few one on one moments. I pray that they would become more available with other children in the neighborhood. And, I pray I would be Jesus to them, when they do become available. 

No comments:

Post a Comment