Thursday, December 31, 2015

Another Year Comes to a Close


Another year is coming to a close. It seems as if the "proper" thing to do is to reflect on 2015, it's joys and sorrows, things learned, hopes and dreams...did they come to fruition? Tonight I am not feeling inspired, I don't have any deep or lofty thoughts, I am just grateful.

I am grateful for being alive tonight. And, for the opportunity to serve my Lord in the way He sees fit. Who would have ever thought that at 62 years of age, I would be living in Ghana, driving a motorcycle, preaching on a weekly basis, and doing all those things that are part of life here in Ghana? I am grateful for the children who come to my door calling, “Maakum! Maakum!” as if their lives depended on them coming to my house to play. And, maybe they do…not in a physical sense. But, what spiritual seeds am I planting? I fall short so many times. Yet, there are times that I know deep down that I acted in the right way. I am grateful for mercy and grace and forgiveness and second chances.

I am grateful for the simple things in life, the sunrise, the sunset, early morning sounds of birds singing, a veranda on which to have my time with the Lord. I am grateful for an internet connection that is strong enough to make video calls…I can see my friends and family! I am grateful for running water and electricity. I am grateful for my health tonight.( There have been times in the past year that I have been so sick. I am grateful for medical help and friends who take me to the clinic when I need to go.)

Shall I go on? I am grateful for the copy of the Christmas cantata from my home church. I am grateful for Tula getting me hooked on coloring. I am grateful for snail mail and care packages. I am grateful for my Ghanaian family that watches over me. I am grateful for my family in the US and the relationship we have with each other. I am grateful for travel within Ghana and outside of Ghana. I am grateful for the support of friends that are like family to me. They will never replace my family, but, have become such a part of my life. I am grateful for my friends who live all across the globe.

And, I am grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, who makes this adventure called life, worth living!



No comments:

Post a Comment