Monday, April 20, 2015

"Dog Days of Summer"

It has been very hot in Lawra lately. It is not summer, as there is no summer season here. (To me, it seems as if it is summer all year 'round.) Right now, we are in the midst of the hot season, when the temperatures are high and it is very dry with little, if any, rain.  As you can see, the temperature hit 108 degrees Fahrenheit on the day I took this picture. You can also see that we had electricity that day, since my a/c was working and it was 84 degrees in my bedroom. (Thank You, Jesus!)
 
I am a morning person. You can probably see that if you look at the timestamps on Facebook, my emails or even this blog. You have to be a morning person during this season because the heat saps out all of your energy! Three afternoons a week, I drive my motorcycle out to Kalsagri for different activities at the church. If they were not scheduled, I would be like many Ghanaians - relaxing because it is just too hot to do anything! And, when there is no electricity....ugh! But, it is what it is, a fact of life here in Lawra. A person has to accept it or move someplace else because things are not likely to change.
 
I know the saying, "the dog days of summer" refers to the period of time when Serius, the Dog Star, rises as the same time as the sun. I like the more simple definition: a period marked by lethargy, inactivity, or indolence. The afternoons are filled with low activity activities, if possible. And, sitting in the shade drinking plenty of water! If you enjoy the heat, you are invited to join me in Lawra!

No comments:

Post a Comment