Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Home Again

 
I arrived in Ghana on Tuesday, February 17, 2015. But, I didn't arrive home until Friday, the 20th. Jasper picked me up at the airport. Then, I exchanged money and went meat and cheese shopping before going to the Jackson's house to spend two nights. When we arrived, I discovered one of my suitcases was broken and in a matter of minutes, I dropped my phone which was now beyond repair! I was thankful for the phone that was given me while in the US. I put my stuff in the freezer. Later that night, the electricity went out. (Accra is on a schedule 12 hours on, 24 hours off.) I prayed my food would survive!
 
Wednesday, Charlie took me to Vodafone to buy a new one. (The phone from the US does not support the apps I use. The operating system could not be updated. But, it works great as a second phone!) I also prepared for my trip north. We decided to take two days, not pushing a 14+ hour drive in one day. Jasper and I left Sunyani on Thursday, and on to Lawra, Friday. We stayed with the Methodist bishop in Sunyani. His deep freeze was working fine and the electricity was on, so everything of mine was solid before we left on Friday. On Friday, we stopped in Wa so I could buy vegetables at the market. Lettuce was available! We arrived in Lawra around 1:00 in the afternoon. There were things to be done before going to my house...greet the pastor, drop off donations to the Lawra Methodist Children's Centre and buy fuel.
 
Finally, home! Sydney was there to greet me and unlock the door. The truck was unloaded and Jasper was on his way back to Accra. I was greeted with dust...EVERYWHERE! I had to clean as I started to unpack and put things away. Even so, it was good to be home!
 
Since Friday, I have had my motorcycle serviced, twice. Once for an oil change and a new battery and once for a flat tire. The tube was spoiled. The plumber is here for the second time. Yesterday, he fixed the kitchen sink. Today, he is fixing the wash sink. The clothes line was spoiled and needed replaced. Monday, the laundry was done and floors were well cleaned. I also found out that I needed to buy a new SIM card for my internet. the one I had was too old! I have worshipped in Kalsagri, visited the pastor, the Lawra Methodist Primary School, and the Tea Shop. I visited daily market and saw some of the ladies from Kalsagri selling their shea butter. (See above picture.) Now, I am trying to catch up on church work, emails, etc. Even though the pastor told me to rest this week, it hasn't happened much. I am just so glad to be home! I thank God for bringing me back safely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment