Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Words for a New Year



The other day I was in a bookstore in Erie, PA and came across the book, Shepherd of Many. It is a book of "lessons" or sayings of Msgr. James Peterson. I knew Father Peterson many, many years ago. As the old year has ended and a new one has begun, I would like to leave with you some of his lessons:
 
~The future will be no more important than today, not in its work or ministry or prayer. No moment is more important or valuable than the present moment.
~God is in charge. I'm the director. I'm only here.
~You have to forgive, not excuse.
~Don't ask about changing the situation. Ask about changing your heart.
~Remember Mary doing laundry pleasing God where she was.
~It takes humility to accept God's gifts and courage to use them.
~God wants your friendship more than your ministry.
~Seek trust, not understanding. When you trust, nothing else is needed.
~You're in God's care. You don't have to rush Him. Stop trying to help Him so much.
~There's a world of difference between the uncertainty that is frightening and the uncertainty that is promising.
 
There are many more lessons in this little book. But, if I learn the ones listed above, I will have learned a LOT!
 
May God be with you and draw you close to Him in this New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment