Wednesday, September 10, 2014

God Be with You 'Til We Meet Again

The day was Sunday, 17 August 2014. It was around noontime. Worship service was just about over. Announcements were being made. All was well...until I made the final announcement of the day. "I love Kalsagri. You have become my family...You have noticed that I have been sitting more frequently..." It was the beginning of a very difficult announcement. I was traveling back to America for surgery, for a knee replacement. I would be gone for 5 1/2 months...
As I spoke, I watched the faces of the congregation. The surprise. The shock. The love. The concern. And, something stirred within me. It was the same thing I experienced in August 1996, when I was leaving a camp in Russia. An 8 year old girl, an orphan was sobbing on my shoulder...and I on hers. I didn't intend to "get involved" with anyone then, just like I didn't realize how interwoven my life was with the lives of the people of Kalsagri. I was in pain (still am). I knew I needed surgery. But, oh, how hard it was to let people know I was leaving.

I was able to worship with the Kalsagri church one more time before I left Ghana. The congregation prayed for me with such faith and such love and such passion...how could God not answer their prayers? I miss them. And, my prayer is, "God be with you until we meet again."


1 comment:

  1. I will be praying for you through surgery and recovery, and also for your Kalsagri family who will missing you!

    ReplyDelete