Saturday, May 31, 2014

I'll Miss You, My Friend

 
This past week has been a very lonely week for me. Oh, I was surrounded by friends and co-workers and people I have grown to love. But, one important "person" was missing. Jack. About two weeks ago, Jack started not being himself. He would visit and take his nap. But, he looked tired. His eyes were not sparkling. His tail wasn't wagging. Every day, when I talked to Jack's "mother," Sydney, she would tell me about something else she noticed about Jack. He wasn't eating like he usually does. He wasn't as active. Then, the day came when he started vomiting. The vet wasn't in town. He had traveled. So, Sydney doctored Jack as best she could. Now, he wasn't eating at all. And was very sick. Finally, on Friday, May 23, the vet had returned to Lawra. But, it was too late for Jack. There was nothing he could really do for Jack.
 
So, Friday evening, May 23, 2014, Jack died in Sydney's arms. I called Razak. He called someone with a pickax and brought him to Sydney's house so Jack could be buried. As I walked to Sydney's house, I could hear the eerie sound of the pickax hitting the hard earth A very nice grave was dug. Blue bunny was placed inside the hole. Sydney, very lovingly placed her best friend on top of his favorite bunny. Then, the eerie sounds of the dirt covering Jack. Sydney and I laughed and cried that evening.
 
Here, where I live, a dog is in the same category as a goat or a sheep. They are not household pets. They are guard dogs...or dinner. People don't understand these silly American women shedding tears over a dog!
 
I am not a dog person. But, I loved Jack.  I miss Jack. I look for him in the morning...he would come to visit. I miss him going to town with me. You get the picture. Maybe, the name of the Disney movie is true...All Dogs Go to Heaven.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment