Saturday, May 31, 2014

Fun in Lawra???


Last week, a friend of mine asked, "What do you do for fun in Lawra?" That questioned has bothered me all week. Hmmm. What do I do for fun in Lawra? Count flies when going out for a Coke. Watch a friend touch a bug zapper and get shocked. Take pictures of the goats and sheep in front of the house. Pray for rain. Typically, I am inside before dark because of the mosquitos. Once in a while, I make greeting cards. It relaxes me, and at times, energizes me. Other than that...there really isn't a "nice" place to go out to eat. There is no Y or movie theater or mall or...but, there are friends! Now, my friends, if they are expats are MUCH younger than I. And, most of my Ghanaian friends who happen to be male, are closer in age, but, only by 10 or 15 years. Ghanaian women are always busy with the house or family or laundry or cooking. In Lawra, the typical Ghanaian woman does not have "time to kill." If they are not busy with their immediate family, they are busy with extended family.
 
So, I decided to make my own "fun." I hosted a Memorial Day/Africa Day pool party and picnic. (It was nice that both holidays ended up being on the same day.) I got out the pool and got it ready for summer! Filled it. Brought out the beach (it is on the small table on the right of the picture.) Bought chicken and REAL potatoes. Made jello! Made baked beans. Sydney and Emily came over. We had such fun. I laughed more that day than I had laughed in quite awhile! We grilled the chicken and had a feast fit for a king.
 
So, in answer to your question, Steve, we have a pool party and a picnic. That is how we have fun in Lawra!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun. Ah! So why did you not invite me?
    Oh! I see had you invited me, the amount of space for water would not be sufficient for the number of people. Looks likes fun!

    ReplyDelete