Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Patrick

 
My friend, Patrick died early Monday morning. He was admitted to the hospital on a Sunday afternoon, about a month ago. He had been very week, not eating, elevated temperature.He was diagnosed with acute malaria. He also had open wounds. You see, Patrick also had leprosy. When I first saw him, he looked as if he would fall over (if he were standing or sitting up) if someone breathed on him. I visited him on Thursday again. I had heard that he wasn't eating, so I took him some red grape juice, hoping he would drink some. Two family members had to support him as they held him up in a sitting position. He drank one big cupful. And then, he drank another. As he drank the third, I shared with him the words of Jesus as He drank the words of Scripture: "27 Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you; 28 for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will never again drink of this fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom." Matt 26:27-29 (NRSV) When I left Patrick that day, I really did not expect to see him again in this life. But, he started getting stronger. I took more juice to him. And, again I visited.
 
Patrick did get stronger. But, not strong enough. He was released from the hospital after a few weeks. But, he died shortly thereafter. The pastor was called on the morning Patrick died. Patrick had been buried already. In the words of the pastor, "They buried him just as if he were a fowl." Here in the Upper West, even if a person is buried the same day they die, the body is "staged" so people can come to view the body and grieve with the family.
 
The burial was done as soon as a grave could be dug, without delay. The men who buried Patrick took great caution while touching his body and bathed immediately after Patrick's burial. It is believed that whoever touches Patrick's body would be struck with the same illnesses that had taken up residence in Patrick's body. They believe that concerning certain illnesses and if the person is a witch or a wizard. So, great pains are taken to avoid contact with the corpse.
 
Patrick was a believer, although most of his family is Traditional. A memorial service will be held for him, planned by the pastor and church members. I have learned so much from Patrick, just by observing him and visiting with him. I pray he has been made whole in the Saviour's arms.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment