Saturday, August 17, 2013

Komfo Anokye Bound

For Naamal, the journey to health via Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) began in the wee hours of the morning on Monday, August 12, 20013. I met her and her father, Joseph in "downtown" Lawra at 4:00 AM! Naamal had her best dress on, complete with holes. But, she was dressed in her best! We waited for the bus to Kumasi where we would find Komfo Anokye. We waited. And talked. And waited. Did I mention that we waited? Finally, a bus came. YAY! Oh, it was full. Now what? We took a tro tro to Wa. Then, from Wa, we took a tro tro to Kumasi. At leat the tro tro to Kumasi had more room in it. Naamal was able to sleep. We covered her with a piece of cloth (that is what people use here instead of blankets) so she wouldn't get cold in the cool morning air.
 
We arrived at Komfo Anokye around 3 PM. I tried to call Rev. Job, one of my Ghanaian family, but I wasn't able to reach him. He had told us to go to his house first & he would go to KATH with us. Since I could not connect with him, we went straight to KATH. KATH has very tight security...no one is allowed in unless it is visiting hours or an emergency. The taxi stopped at the gate. The guard leaned in to ask why we were there and he saw Naamal. "That is serious!" he said. So, without any of us saying anything, we were allowed in.
 
First, we went to Emergency. Naamal's vital signs were taken, and basic questions were asked before we were sent to pediatric emergency. There, more medical history was taken and blood work was done. Everyone was so kind! Naamal would be admitted since she lived so far away. The diagnosis from the start was Burkitt’s Lymphoma. Now, "investigations" (tests) would be done to confirm it. 
 
Joseph would stay at the hospital with Naamal since the parent is expected to care for their child. Food for Naamal would be provided by the hospital. This is very rare in Ghana. Usually the family has to provide the food, too. The investigations would begin on Tuesday.
 
The tests that were done this week were a massive amount of bloodwork, chest x-ray, bone marrow test, ultra sound on her liver since it was enlarged and a biopsy of her tumor. She was given a unit of blood on Thursday because her blood counts were low.
 
The hardest day for me was Thursday. And, up to that point, it was probably the hardest day for Naamal. I arrived early in the morning with a backpack filled with new underwear, a dress, shorts & a top and a pair of flip flops. She was thrilled! Every once in a while, she would unzip the backpack, take out the clothes and try them on herself or on her baby elephant I gave her when she was admitted. But, the fun did not last. The nurse came to take Naamal for the bone marrow test. When her father carried her back into the room, she looked so small, she was very tired and went to sleep. Joseph was asked by the nurses to go and get something, so I stayed with Naamal. As she slept, she was whimperong. And, my heart broke into a million pieces. I tried to comfort her. She wouldn't let me. So, I held her hand and sang to her..."Jesus loves you..." At the same time, she was receiving the unit of blood. Later in the day, she was herself again. I left for Lawra early Friday morning. Rev. Job called me Friday night. Naamal had the biopsy. When he visited her, she was crying. Oh! How I wish I could help her so she wouldn't hurt. But, it is bound to hurt more before it gets better.
 
Naamal will be treated for Burkitt's even before the lab results are in because doctors are 99% sure that is what her tumor is, it has to be varified. Her treatment will consist of chemo therapy, no surgery! That is amazing to me. The nurses said that they have seen worse. The chemo will shrink the tumor! Once discharged, Naamal will have to return to KATH evry three weeks for treatment. Joseph was STRONGLY encouraged to stay in the Kumasi area as a precaution. Naamal would not be able to travel to Lawra and back every three weeks. Plus, she needs to be closer to the hospital just in case she gets sick, has a bad reaction, etc...This trip was a cultural lesson for me. The hospital is different than what I am used to in the USA. Plus, the insurance does not cover blood work, x-rays, bone marrow tests, lab reports, pathology reports, gauze, bandages, etc. Right now, to start, the chemo itself will be free because the hospital has it in stock and it was donated. But, we don't know how many times it will be available at no charge. No one would even give me an estimate for the cost, but I will keep on trying.
 
When I look back on the past week, I can see God's fingerprints all over it. He has been so good to us, caring for us all the way, protecting us and providing for us. And, I know He will continue! Thank You, Lord God Almighty, healer of our bodies and everything else we would ever want or need!
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the full report. Hope you are able to get some rest before traveling again and really hope that Joseph and Naamal have a place to stay in Kumasi. Praying for all of you...

    ReplyDelete