Friday, August 2, 2013

A Rainy Day

 
When I left home last week, to travel to Wa, the sky over my house was a little gray. The temperature was cool...a nice day for sitting in a crowded tro tro! By the time I walked into town, the sky had turned black! There were not many people at the tro tro station yet, so Habib and I went to have bread and egg at the Tea Shop. As we were eating, the Metro Mass Transit bus arrived. It is not comfortable, but much better than a tro tro. So, we grabbed our uneaten food and ran...Habib ran, I walked fast, to the bus. We were able to get seats and before long, we were on our way!
 
 
A few minutes after getting on the bus, the heavens opened up and it started pouring! I was grateful we were on the bus as most of the tro tros leak, if they have windows that actually close, and would have gotten very wet, even before getting to Wa. By the time we arrived, the rain had reduced and only coming down small (only raining a little.)
 
Now, I know that everything in Lawra closes when it rains, but, Wa is a "big" city. I really did not expect everything to be closed. Everything wasn't closed, but almost! We went to the Post Office to buy stamps. We waited an hour and ten minutes for someone to show up with a key so stamps could be sold to us! The stamp person did not go to work because of the rain! Next, we walked down to the store that sells REAL butter. Of course, that was closed, too! I knew market would be closed because it is outside, so no fresh veggies! But, now we were going to buy the drum that was ordered the week before. It was the purpose for the trip!

 
As Abu drove us to the other end of town, I was amazed...99% of the businesses were closed! A person could walk down the middle of the street and not get hit by a moving vehicle! I couldn't believe my eyes. Like I said, I expected this in Lawra, but not in Wa! We finally arrived at the "drum" store...the drum did not arrive yet. This was the reason we went to Wa! So, we called Yaro to find out where he was. We planned on  traveling back to Lawra in his tro tro. We did get back to Lawra, stamps in hand, a little damp and grateful for the much needed rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment