Sunday, June 23, 2013

Priscilla

 
It is Wednesday morning. The temperature is only 86 degrees Fahrenheit. I am riding my bicycle to Zinka, a village close to me. I am not quite there yet, but I am wondering,"Why didn't I ride my moto?" Then I remember that I need the exercise. The top part of my dress is already soaked in sweat. As I approach Zinka, I see a small urchin with only her underclothes on, covered in dirt from head to toe. It is Priscilla. I wave and keep pedaling because if I stop, I will have to walk my bicycle the rest of the way.
 
 
Priscilla is 7 or 8 years old. Her older sister is not quite sure of Priscilla's age. And, Priscilla has Downs Syndrome. She does not go to school because she won't sit still and will run away. There is no support staff for children like Priscilla. So, twice a week, I go to her house to do some basic things with her. Sometimes she is outside of the family compound when I arrive and we have "class" outside. Then, I have to be prepared to have at least six other children and four adults joining us. The children have skipped school to farm and the adults have not gone out to work the farm yet.
 
 
The last two times that I visited Priscilla, we met inside the family compound, with her older sister helping us. What a difference! Priscilla was much better behaved, her focus increased and we were able to accomplish a LOT of work.
 
 
She loves to string beads and do sewing cards.  Her brother, Kareem likes to string beads and "fish."
 
 
When we finish, we pray, and I am ready to leave, Priscilla gives me a hug so big it seems like I will never be able to get out of the grasp of her arms. She walks out to my bicycle with me, carrying my heavy basket of toys. Then, she climbs up on my bicycle. She wants to go home with me and cries when she is not allowed. But, I tell her I will "go and come" and she is happy again.
 
 
Priscilla's station in life may not change because I am there with her, but she will. I pray that God will use me in her life...to make a difference...for Him!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment