Monday, December 24, 2012

Hope for the Future

 
Last Thursday, my close friend, Cathy, received her Master's Degree from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh. (Cathy is one of those very creative geek types. I wish I could do even a fraction of what she can do.) There were hundreds of people receiving their diplomas, each had earned a Bachelor, Master or Doctorate Degree. And, I sat there and thought about all the opportunities that lay in the future for these men and women. The possibilities are endless. They all have such hope for their futures.
 
I couldn't help but think of the people I know in Ghana, people who struggle to receive even a secondary education. It is costly for them. Many families cannot afford it. Then, on to a post secondary education...it is hard for most people, it is hard for everyone I know. It seems as if people who live in my area, if they want further education, go to school on weekends, working during the week. That way, they can support their family while pursuing an education. Only 5% of Ghana's population has a post secondary education. Again, in my area, most people can look forward to farming the rest of their lives, trying to eek out a living by selling whatever they might have extra. Possibilities for the future? Not for many. Hope for a better life? Not much. Opportunities for a job? Nope. They just aren't available.
 
I am so happy for Cathy. Excited about her future. But, my heart breaks for those in Lawra who struggle just to feed their families. Cathy is sharing in the work of God in Ghana and in other places in the world, providing some hope for those who are hopeless about their future. What about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment