Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Reflections on Conference

This past week I had the privilege of representing The Mission Society at the 45th Conference of The Methodist Church Ghana. I was so excited when my team leader asked if I would attend. I LOVE going to Annual Conference in Western Pennsylvania. So, I packed my best Ghanaian clothes and my notebook and my red pen...and I was ready!

The Conference was held at St. Paul Cathedral in Tema, Greater Accra Region. The church was HUGE! After being in small churches in the north, almost everything amazed me! The team that welcomes us was"on their toes" and ready to meet whatever challenge came their way. After I registered and received my conference materials, I was given a ride to where I would be staying for the next four nights. I settled in and went to the Lay Delegates session. (Buses were always on hand to transport us when necessary.) The work of the laity and how to use our various gifts for the Kingdom of God was discussed.
 
Then, what we all have been waiting for...REPRESENTATIVE SESSION. I sat in an area where I could listen and see while being comfortable, too. I was impressed with the fact that there wasn't a lot of unnecessary talking/discussion. Reports were given with highlights mentioned. People seemed to do their homework and came to the sessions prepared for the day's work. I marked my journal with my red pen, so that I could make corrections and notations as needed.
 
The opening worship was amazing! I sat with the Women's Guild, sticking out like a sore thumb! They showed my the proper way to dance during the offering. Then, it was back to "work." Reports, worship, fellowship, doing the business of the church...it all went so smoothly. Each day we were finished between 6:00 and 6:30 in the evening...and, we finished early on Saturday! Incredible!
 
Challenges were given to those in attendance...the challenge "to carry the work given to us" from Numbers 4:49 and to remember the four "all"s mentioned in Matthew 28:18-20 and to act accordingly.We were challenged to give up all and to do the work of Christ. (Hmm...sounds familiar!)
 
Conference concluded with an Ordination Service with 28 people ordained into full time ministry, 2 women and 26 men. Many were teachers, but several other occupations were given up in order to serve God full time. I pray that God would give them wisdom and strength and courage as they enter this new chapter of life.

Wouldn't it be nice if life ran as smoothly as this conference did? The problems were few and seemed to be fixed in a reasonable time. And, there were times of celebration, too.The problems in my life don't seem to go away very fast. And, sometimes the celebrations are few and far between. It's the difference between doing a task and building character in a person. Building character takes time. Often, I want God to change me...right now!
 
Next conference is in August 2014 in Kumasi. I am ready & waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment