Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Smell of Hope

Harmatan is ending. I have enjoyed the cooler temperatures during the night and early morning. I've enjoyed the cooler winds, except when I have to ride my bicycle against it! But, Harmatan is very dusty since there has not been rain since the beginning of October. Floors and windows need to be cleaned often. The table tops and chairs need wiped off every day. And, when riding a bicycle, I often feel like I have been eating dust. I even had to wash the inside of my oven before I baked because there was so much dust in there!

As I ride my bicycle to the office or to see the children or to town, I sweat because even though it is cooler, to me, it is still hot! I've been here a year and it is still summer. I ride against the wind, and "chew" the dust that follows behind cars and buses, and it is not pleasant. The goats have eaten all my flowers. Everything is brown unless it has deep roots. Then, I feel a slight breeze. I smell something WONDERFUL that reminds me of the smell of tulips or daffodils. It is the flower of the nyɛm tree. It reminds me that rain and flowers and green things are coming. And, they will...in time.

I chose to believe in the things I cannot see. I am hoping for a better day as far as climate goes. I know there will be a better day in heaven, too. HOPE. That's what it is about. I HOPE seeds are being planted. I HOPE they will will be watered. I HOPE they will bloom and grow. I HOPE my kids will know their heavenly Father. I HOPE my kids will grow up to be men and women of God. I HOPE that things that I don't see, that I don't understand will one day make sense to me. I HOPE I will remain faithful. I HOPE to be with Jesus one day. I HOPE that many others will be there, too. This sweet smell reminds me of HOPE. And I will hang onto HOPE all the days of my life.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment