Sunday, July 3, 2011

Made to Crave

Did you ever think that we were made to crave? Usually we hear that cravings are bad for us. We should resist them. In reality, God made us to crave! Imagine that...made to crave! That gives me permission to crave a LOT of things or does it really? Lately, I've been craving Tupperware. I think it is because every time I cook rice, before I cook it, I have to strain the ants out of it. In my mind, Tupperware would solve the problem! In the last two weeks, I don't want to admit how much time I've spent drooling over stuff on the Tupperware web site. (It is so easy to surf the web while I'm in Accra!) I am dreaming of it...no, I am craving it. Is that so wrong? Just a few sentences ago, didn't I say that we were made to crave? So, craving Tupperware is OK, right? WRONG!

"God made us capable of craving so we would have an unquenchable desire for more of Him, and Him alone. Nothing changes until we make the choice to redirect our misguided cravings to the only One capable of satisfying them." (from Craving God, by Lysa Terkeurst)

Remember the story of the rich young man from Matthew 19? He asked Jesus what he had to do to be saved. Jesus tells the man to sell everything he owned & give to the poor & then he would have "treasures in Heaven." The man walked away sad because he craved his riches & probably the place they gave him in society more than he craved a relationship with Jesus. His riches are the one thing that consumes him and he just doesn't seem to be able to see that although his money could buy anything & everything he wanted, his soul was malnourished.

"O Lord, forgive me for the times that thoughts and images of Tupperware consumed me. Forgive me for the times I have given it a place in my life that only belongs to You! I want to give that up so I can crave You more. I give to you my thoughts, my cravings, my time. May it glorify You. In Jesus name I pray. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment