Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Different Way of Banking

Banking, like everything else here in Lawra, is a lot different than at home. When most people enter the bank, they give the man who is at the computer closest to the door their account number and name on a small piece of paper so they can check their balance. After their name is called and their balance is written down, then, if they have to make a withdrawal, they enter the queue. If the person already knows there is money in their account, then this step is skipped.

Last week, when I was waiting my turn at the bank, I watched as an older gentleman "played" with an ink pad. I thought, "Doesn't he realize that he is getting ink all over his fingers?" Then, I saw it. The bank teller had done his part in the transaction and it was the man's turn to sign a check. Except the man could not write. So, he carefully "signed" his check with his fingerprints. I was in awe...How many times do I take writing for granted? How many times do I take the privilege of banking for granted? These are gifts given to me, gifts given to me by the grace of God.

Father, I pray that you continue to open my eyes and let me see how self absorbed I have been. May I never take the "simple privileges" of life for granted.

1 comment: